Re: Waltons... & archivists in films

"Spencer's Mountain" became a film by the same name, set in Jackson Hole
and the Tetons, starring Maureen O'Hara as the mother, Henry Fonda as the
father, and young James MacArthur as the son. Then "The Homecoming" was
the Christmas pilot for "The Waltons," starring Patricia Neal as the
mother with Richard Thomas and the child actors who would play the Walton
children in the series. On the TV series, the narrator's voice at the
beginning was Earl Hamner's. It is interesting to compare the different
versions and see the common threads of "hill people's" lives that
probably came form Hamner's original experiences. I remember that during
the TV series' heyday, Hamner's mother and many siblings were still alive
and interviewed.

Katherine Scott Sturdevant
author of Bringing Your Family History to Life through Social History
and Organizing and Preserving Your Heirloom Documents