Re: strange reference requests

Of course, some of us do handle more traditional dirty books or in my case
magazines (I'm overseeing the rearrangement and classification of our
periodical collection).  I deal with the whole range from stamp collecting
and bowling clubs to professional organizations and scholarly journals to
excessive amounts of male genitalia -- Oh so exciting to report to my
sweetie at the end of a long day. ;>

We get our share of people coming in and wanting to know everything about
lesbians!

However at my last job -- at a progressive library in Southern California --
someone called and asked one of my co-workers about a specific Astronomy
text, she told him that we didn't and helpfully suggest a local university
that likely would.  He kept asking for more information on locations and
finally admitted that he was calling from England (it was the middle of the
night there) and then asked for a weather report.  She finally got off the
phone and in reporting the incident (which I'd overheard her side of)
decided he was drunk and lonely.

Julia Bazar
Special Projects Librarian (Archivist)
Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Historical Society
973 Market Street, Suite 400
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-777-5455

julia@glbthistory.org