From: Pope, Barbara [mailto:bpope@STLCOP.EDU]
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 2:49 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: beaver board?

Does anyone out there in Archives Land know what "Beaver Board" is? We were
clearing out a closet to ready the library and archives for more
construction and found an old composite class picture from 1917.  All of the
photos are mounted on this board, which says "Beaver Board Patented 1916" on
the back. It is about the thickness of thin plywood. I am wondering about
the possible acids or other chemicals from the board leaching into the
photos. However, the photos seem to be pretty sturdily mounted on the board,
so I guess there's probably not much I could do about it anyway. The board
does look like it got a little bit wet at one time and is dirty, but other
than that, it is in good shape and has no mold or other defects. I would
like to get it cleaned up and framed and placed somewhere prominent in the
library where people can see it.

Barbara M. Pope, MLS
Reference Librarian
St. Louis College of Pharmacy