Re: Diesel/Gasoline and Paper

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:07:47 -0400, Bridgette Kelly <kellyb@UCC.ORG> wrote:

>Tom Berry wrote: <snip> photocopying has been my only
>remedy."
>
>I have never had to deal with this, but based on what cautions are posted
>at gas stations, I would be hesitant to photocopy the papers for fear of
>static electricity. Perhaps I'm paranoid. I wonder if there's a way to
>photocopy them that would eliminate the static electricity?

the issue at gas stations is the large amount of volatile gases that are
present when one refuels a vehicle. I suspect that TomB's papers have a very
low amount of volatile gases remaining if they are like any manuals I've
seen around a garage. Allowing documents to air will allow the volatile
gases to escape, what remains are other chemical residues that stain the
document and have an extremely low volatility. An easy way to think about it
is that both asphalt and gasoline are petroleum products however gasoline
has a higher volatility than does asphalt which is why gasoline is used in
car engines rather than asphalt. It takes a whole lot of heat to get asphalt
to move.

There might be a static electricity problem while photocopying
gasoline-soaked documents if the documents are kept in closed container in a
closed room with the photocopier. This scenario will allow for a build-up of
volatile gases which a spark could ignite.

that's enough of petroleum chem 101 for today.

Peter Kurilecz
pakurilecz@aol.com