Re: copyright & theses

Dear Beth,

You say:
This whole thing has become a big hassle and I'm looking for an easier way.
Have you considered making them available online and getting out of the copying business/hassle? Check out http://www.theses.org/
It takes a bit of setting up, but then the stuff is publicly available. Many places still require submission of paper copies while having authors comply with the standards of the Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (NDLTD)

As for getting everyone to give you blanket permission to copy, I hope that convenience won't prevent librarians from respecting the value of intellectual work and the products thus created. It would seem that this is a case of respecting that property the author has created.

Wayne Miller
Plattsburgh State U of NY