copyright & theses

All:

We would like to make circulating copies of our master's theses available but prefer not to ask students to turn in two copies for this purpose due to space issues.  Since some theses will never circulate, I would rather just run a copy if one gets requested.  Does this fall under the fair use guidelines if we copy the entire thing without asking permission from the author?  There is some disagreement among our staff regarding this.   Is there really a difference, legally, between getting a second copy upfront or just copying as needed?

Thanks so much for your help!

Beth S. Harris,
Special Collections Management Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library / Hollins University
POB 9000 / 7950 E. Campus Drive
Roanoke, VA  24020-1000
Phone: 540.362.6237 / Fax: 540.362.6756
Web:http://www.hollins.edu/academics/library/libtoc.htm