Subj: Honoured archivists
Date: 7/27/02 10:46:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: daniellw@naa.gov.au
To: aus-archivists@asap.unimelb.edu.au
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Dear aus-archivists -

a few weeks ago a number of list members suggested that the ASA should list
archivists who had received awards for their work on its web site. Council
has decided to follow this up, and I have since begun compiling a list of
archivists who have received either national Australian or Imperial awards
for their contribution to the profession.

This list I have so far is reproduced in this email. It is compiled from
entries on the Australian Honours Secretariat database at
http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/. As you'll see, the database isn't complete,
and not all entries have the recipients' citations included, which makes it
hard to search for people who have received awards for their archival work.
There are also a few ASA members who we are pretty certain have been
honoured in this way but don't seem to turn up on the database.

If you have received an award, or know of someone who has, for contributions
to archives, I'd appreciate it if you could send me some details so that we
can ensure our list is as comprehensive as possible. It would be a great
shame to leave out any individual who has made such an outstanding
contribution to the profession. We will, however, be limiting the list at
this stage to Australian and Imperial honours. The list will also be
restricted to people on whom honours have been bestowed for contributions
related to archives, although we recognise that members may have been
recognised for contributions in other fields as well.

Any help or comments would be appreciated. You can send contributions to me
at daniellw@naa.gov.au.

Regards

Dani
ASA Councillor

Miss Rose Bellatti CROW The Order of the British Empire (Civil)

Citation: Archivist - Australian Embassy in Washington Date Received: 01
January 1962

Mrs Hazel Estelle de BERG The Order of the British Empire - Member (Civil)

Citation: Collection of archival material Date Received: 01 January 1968

Mr Peter BOARD The Order of St Michael and St George - Commanders

Citation: Archivist - Commonwealth Parliamentary Library Date Received: 03
June 1916

Mr Douglas John CROSS Member of the Order of Australia (AM)

Citation: N/A Date Received: 26 January 2000

Dorothy DURRANT Member of the Order of Australia (AM)

Citation: For service to the preservation and recording of colonial
heritage, particularly in the Quirindi region as an author and archivist, to
youth through the Guiding movement, and to the community. Date Received: 26
January 2001

Miss Meroola Frances Fellowes LUKIS The Order of the British Empire -
Officer (Civil)

Citation: Archival work Date Received: 12 June 1976

Mr Ian MACLEAN Member of the Order of Australia (AM)

Citation: N/A Date Received: 26 January 1996

Ms Margaret Lois MEDCALF Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM)

Citation: N/A Date Received: 07 June 1999

Miss Joyce Veronica MCGRATH Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM)

Citation: For service to the collection and preservation of historical
documentation relating to art and music, particularly through the
establishment of the Australian Art Archives. Date Received: 26 January 2002

Emeritus Professor Robert George NEALE Officer of the Order of Australia
(AO)

Citation: N/A Date Received: 26 January 1985

Mr Edward Augustus PETHERICK The Order of St Michael and St George -
Commanders

Citation: Archivist - Library of the Parliament of Australia Date Received:

Mr Graeme Tullidge POWELL Public Service Medal (PSM)

Citation: N/A Date Received: 26 January 2002

Mr John Willard REDDIN Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM)

Citation: For service to primary industry, particularly through the Royal
Agricultural and Horticultural Society of South Australia as an archivist
and historian, and to the potato and sheep industries. Date Received: 26
January 2001.