Re: lubricating film

The donor is probably right, depending on what kind of equipment the
transfer will be made on. If the film is going to be run on a conventional
telecine projector, and the film is dry, there is risk of damage to the film
if it is not lubricated.

Lubricating the film is done by applying a film cleaner containing a wax.
The wax coating fills the pores of the film, and provides a smooth
protective surface to allow the film to slide through the moving parts of
the projector. This does not harm the film in any way, and is normal
procedure for projected prints. If the film is dry and not lubricated it
could bind in the projector, causing perforation damage and/ or abrasions.

On the other hand, lubrication of the film may not be necessary if the film
is transfered on more sophisiticated (and expensive)  equipment like a Rank,
Phillips, or Bosh digital flying spot scanner. These machines do not have a
pressure plate...and to pull the film there is a capstan roller instead of
"claws" engaging the perforations..so the pulling of the film through the
machine is similar to  a big reel to reel tape machine. These machines are
so delicate to film that negatives are transferred on them, and negatives
are traditionally NOT lubricated (waxed).

Larry Urbanski

Moviecraft Inc.

Urbanski Film
Visit Moviecraft Home Video's on line catalog at:
http://www.moviecraft.com
Visit Urbanski Film's Website for film, equipment, and supplies:
http://www.urbanskifilm.com