Re: poster storage

I find the best way to provide protection and storage for oversize items is
to encapsulate them in Mylar.  Essentially, you make and envelope using two
sheets of Mylar slightly larger than the poster.  The Mylar sheets are
sealed together using double stick tape with the poster "suspended" in
between.  The conservation supply companies have materials and instruction
kits.

Even after encapsulation, I prefer flat storage in a map case or on shelves,
rather than rolling them.

Please note:  Don't use the encapsulation method on original art works done
in media such as charcoal, oil, pastels, colored pencil, etc. The medium can
lift off and adhere to the Mylar.

Catherine Bruck
University Archivist
Illinois Institute of Technology