Re: Release of Info on "Terminally Inconvenienced" Persons

<<HIPAA regulations were created to protect patient
privacy--that's your privacy, remember.  HIPAA  wasn't created to complicate
the
lives of archivists or even the healthcare industry.  And frankly, down the
road, I don't want my medical records to be open to every Tom Dick and Harry
that comes into an archives.>>

Personally, I couldn't agree with you more.  But it's the current abuses -
some of them thoughtless (like the desperately rushed nurse who insists on
engaging a patient in a loud and very public discussion of an intimate
medical problem, in an area of a physician's office that is decidedly not
soundproof?), some of them infuriatingly for-profit - that HIPAA is meant to
halt.

I'm for that.  More, not less, after receiving in yesterday's home snail
mail an advertisement from a drug company urging me to demand that my doctor
prescribe a certain medication based on nothing except my age and gender.  I
would love to know whether they bought that obviously targeted mailing list
from my insurer, or from my physician - or if they got it from a nonmedical
source, and thus sent the ads to men named "Shirley" and "Dale," too.  (I
rather hope for the latter, thanks to my twisted sense of humor.)

At least they didn't send me unsolicited medication samples, as happened to
one woman in the news recently! :-)

Best,

Nina

Nina M. Osier, Director