FW: Flood Relief for Prague and Dresden

Hello Everyone,
I've been asked to forward the following
annoucement to the Listserve.

--
Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator

Dear Members of the List and Interested Parties:

Following is a condensed version of information
from UNESCO's website on
flood damage to libraries, archives, and museums
in central Europe.  In an
interview on Public Radio International, which
aired on Tuesday August 27,
2002, the Director of the National Library of the
Czech Republic, Mr.
Vojacek Belek, estimated that there are at least
50 damaged libraries in his
country, with a total of 600,000 damaged or
destroyed books, as well as
archival collections of military history and
architecture (including the
Joze Plecnik archive), and collections at the
Archaeological Institute, the
Institute of Philosophy, the Academy of Sciences,
and the Law Library.

As SAA does not contribute directly to causes,
individual members are
encouraged to send checks to the various
institutions either directly
through established bank accounts (see below) or
through the VIA Foundation
in New York.  In order to avoid bureaucratic
tangles, UNESCO has chosen not
to establish its own relief bank account, and
prefers monies go directly to
suffering institutions.  Here is a non-exhaustive
list provided by UNESCO:

In New York:

VIA Foundation

Fund to save and repair damaged cultural and
historic monuments and heritage
in flooded areas in Prague and throughout the
Czech Republic.  By personal
or bank check payable to "Foundation for a Civil
Society/VIA":

Foundation for a Civil Society
P.O.BOX 2235
New York, NY 10021

Please indicate "flood relief PINF" or "cultural
heritage VIA" on your
check.

By bank transfer
"Flood Relief PINF"
Number of account: 204 104 0104/2600
Bank name: CITIBANK
Bank address: Evropska 178
166 40 Prague 6
Czech Republic
SWIFT code: CITICZPX

In Czech Republic

Jewish Museum in Prague (floods)/ Zidovske muzeum
v Praze
195420830257/0100 (U.S. dollar account)
SWIFT CODE: KOMB CZ PP
or
510091870297/0100 (Euro account)
SWIFT CODE: KOMB CZ PP

Institute of Archaeology
Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
Ceská národní banka Praha
Bank account: 17537031/0710
SWIFT: CEKOCZPP

In Germany

Kulturstiftung des Bundes
Deutsche Bank Halle Germany
"Flut 2002"
Kto. Nr. / Account No. 7676000
BLZ / Bank No. 860 700 00

Kulturstiftung der Länder:
Commerzbank Berlin
Kto. 730 8000 00
BLZ 100 400 00

Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz
Kto. 55 555 52
Commerzbank Bonn
BLZ 380 400 07
Aktionsnummer 124 124, Stichwort
"Hochwasserschäden"

Deutsche UNESCO-Kommission e.V.
Kto. 43 59 3003
Sparkasse Bonn
BLZ 380 500 00
Stichwort "Hochwasser"
Spenden für den Welterbefond:

Deutsche Bibliotheksverband (DBV)
Spendenkonto des DBV
Berliner Volksbank
Bankleitzahl 100 900 00
Konto: 541 2670 002
Stichwort: "Flut"

Valerie S. Komor
Chair, SAA International Archival Affairs
Roundtable
Head, Department of Prints, Photographs, and
Architectural Collections
The New-York Historical Society
170 Central Park West
New York, NY  10024
212-873-3400 x 273

"It was three years before we saw New York again.
As the ship glided up the
river, the city burst thunderously upon us in the
early dusk, the white
glacier of lower New York swooping down like a
strand of a bridge to rise
into uptown NewYork, a miracle of foamy light
suspended by the stars. A band
started to play on deck, but the majesty of the
city made the march trivial
and tinkling. From that moment I knew that New
York, however often I might
leave it, was home.
F. Scott Fitzgerald, from the essay "My Lost
City", 1932.