[B-Greek] APEQANOMEN THi

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 14:05:57 EDT 2008

Perhaps one's translation reveals how one understands a text, but it doesn't reveal whether he correctly understands the text.  For that we need to resort to usage in context practiced by the linguistic community of the time and mileau.  This is one reason I find Wallace amusing.  His criterion is how WE TODAY would translate a passage rather than on the usage of the time in which it is written.  If I were to say "It's raining cats and dogs" you might translate that literally into Swahili, but, if the Swahili speakers didn't have such an idiom, it would not be comprehensible.
 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.