[B-Greek] Perseus Synonyms? (EKKLHSIA and SULLOGOS?)

Ken Penner ken.penner at acadiau.ca
Thu Jun 12 13:20:04 EDT 2008

EKKLESIA was used in the Jewish Greek scriptures (to render the Hebrew QAHAL; I imagine the similarity of sound was a factor); SULLOGOS wasn't.
In fact, it's been suggested that words like ἔρανος, κοινόν, θίασος, σύνοδος, σύλλογος were avoided precisely because they were used for other voluntary societies.

Ken M. Penner, Ph.D.
Acadia Divinity College
Hebrew and Greek vocabulary memorization software:
http://purl.org/net/kmpenner/flash/