To Interpret or Not To Interpret, That is The question

From: Larry Swain (swainl@rocky.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 11:45:22 EDT

At 10:01 AM 7/1/98 +0300, you wrote:

>Since this seems to be a theology-oriented, simple yes/no will do.
>
>Timo Flink

With a respectful nod in the Bard's direction, I would like to take a moment
and address a misunderstanding here. Most of us on this list ask our
questions because we are trying to make sense of a passage in the Greek
(there are exceptions) and most often trying either to interpret it, fit it
into our theology, or in the process of discussing such issues with others.
Given that this literature is near and dear to most of us in some fashion it
would be very difficult not to ask about a passage that does not in some way
affect someone's theology.

The difficulty for us on the staff comes when the discussion turns from
making sense of the Greek-grammar, etymology, semantics, morphology etc and
it is the <i>interpretation<i> of the passage that becomes the focus of
discussion, opening all manner of wounds. Discussions (and arguments) about
what a passage MEANS should be held offlist among interested parties, such
as the I Tim 2 discussion which has now crossed that sometimes fine line.

Hope that helps clarify it some.

Larry Swain

---
b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek