Re: U Conn "scandal"

Hi Jane Sooby,
The U Conn IPM site was providing advise for organic producers and there
is no way around that and I should have thought that you might have
mentioned that . The extension advise  was not for IPM but f or organic
farming ! I should hope that you might consider the organic farmer as a
person as valuable as an academic IPM authority. I am shaken by your
preference but understand  that many factions may  take the name organic
farming research!
perplexing.:http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/general/htms/orgpest.htm
"PESTICIDES FOR ORGANIC GROWERS "
"The major types of B.t. are the 'kurstake' strain for caterpillar pests
(Dipel, Javelin, Thuricide, MVP, etc.) and the 'San Diego' or
'tenebrionis' strain for potato beetle larvae (M-One, M-Trak, Beetle
Beater, Novodor, etc.)."
Regarding the false data part of the  U.Conn.problem,  I understood that
the implicated laboratory was reporting on pollution of land with
xenobiotic chemicals, I am unhappy with your imputation beyond that to
things that I did not state.Such imputation is bad form.However,I would
urge that university to review its entire program including farming.
I have a strange feeling that I am replying to the Avery school of
organic agriculture!
Sincerely, Prof. Joe Cummins

Jane Sooby wrote:

Please note: Dr. Cummins wrote:

The scandal in the U Conn.  environmental and organic  laboratories is
described on the University Web site

This implies that there is something awry with organic research being
conducted at U Conn, particularly as it follows up Dr. Cummins's critical
comment about an IPM publication he found on the U Conn website.

Based on the actual press release on the U Conn website, it was the
Environmental Research Institute's volatile organics lab that was
investigated and found to have engaged in scientific misconduct. This
does
not reflect in any way on the quality of the organic farming research
that
has been conducted at U Conn in the past. Not that there has been a
lot of
it. While there is one major research project currently underway to study
the nutrient status of organic vegetable farms in Connecticut, the
bulk of
organic work in the Connecticut land grant system has been performed by
entomologist Kimberly Stoner, stationed at the Connecticut Experimental
Station in New Haven. For details, please refer to our recently published
State of the States II report, freely available through our website at
www.ofrf.org

And for more details on this scandal, go to the source at
http://www.advance.uconn.edu/03090804.htm

Sincerely,

Jane Sooby
technical program coordinator
Organic Farming Research Foundation

P.O. Box 440
Santa Cruz, CA  95061
831-426-6606
831-426-6670 fax
831-336-2392 home
www.ofrf.org
jane@ofrf.org

$142,830,000 (close to $143 million): per DAY cost of U.S. occupation of
Iraq (based on $1 billion per week cost)
$5 million: projected cost per YEAR in 2004 for federally-funded organic
farming research

Visit the SANET-MG archives at:
http://lists.sare.org/archives/sanet-mg.html