Re: [GWL] Re: gardenwriters Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

Hello,

In research, VAM mycorrhizal is pot cultured using leeks as its host, it will
not survive in agar.  Inoculation can be accomplished with spores or broken
root segments.

Do the temperatures produced by properly managed composts piles destroy the
mycorrhizal segments/spores I do not know.  Having observed my working
(heating) compost piles, fungi are rare.  However, finished compost is a good
medium for fungi.

The easiest thing to do is to buy a leek from the grocer, inoculate it's root
zone with VAM mycorrhiza and replant it in a pot.  To inoculate new plants
simply remove the leek from it's pot, cut soil/roots from the plant add new
soil and repot.  You then can use the removed soil to inoculate other plants.

The leek will have to be cut back to increase longevity.

More info...
http://invam.caf.wvu.edu/Articles/culturing.htm

Tom

--