Re: [GWL] Re: gardenwriters Digest, Vol 2, Issue 1

The main effect of fertilizers on the mycorrhizal association is similar to the
effect of N fertilizer on the rhizobium symbiosis of legumes. The major
nutrient benefit of mycorrhiza is in improved P nutrition, because P moves very
little in the soil so roots garner it by root interception and the fungal
threads act essentially as extensions to the roots. Phosphorus fertilization
suppresses the symbiosis. There are sometimes other benefits from mycorrhizae
also, such as disease reduction and improved tolerance to water stress. But, as
I mentioned previously, mycorrhizae are ubiquitous: you'd have a lot more
trouble finding a nonmycorrhizal plant than a mycorrhizal plant, under
cultivation or in the wild. Interestingly, some families, such as the cabbage
family, never form mycorrhizal associations.

Lee Reich, PhD