[compost_tea] Re: Chelated Materials

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:32:37 -0700

Goodness I didn't intend to cause this perturbation in our organic progress.
Thomas Giannou suggests chelated materials are an NOP problem. Hmm? I
hadn't heard that. My understanding is that this is not an issue. A
general rule I observed there but didn't mention is organic materials can't
be derived using "synthetic solvents" which to me suggest petrochemical
extraction, per the gist of NOP rules. But there's nothing there about
chelation, which to me is completely natural phenomenon. Diatomaceous
earth, sand, clay, chitin, compost, all have chelation value and properties.
Minerals themselves are "chelative" as is fiber in our guts, it seems to me.
How could
chelation be an NOP question except as another USDA ruse? Am I
misunderstanding chelation?

> Message: 12
> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 03:53:30 EDT
> From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
> Subject: Re: Re: NOP and Yucca
>
> Sorry I'm behind in getting back to the list serve and these questions. I
> just got the April e-zine off, and some of these things are addressed in
> there.
>
> For example, several solid statements about what is allowed in the NOP
rules
> about compost tea. As I sent to the list several months ago, after
> discussions all around with many poeple, including OMRI folk who have been
> great working on this issue, compost tea is allowed without restriction
under
> the NOP regs, EXCEPT all ingredients you put into the tea has to be
approved
> by a certifying agency, like OMRI.
>
> Now, to Thomas' question. Don't mis-interpret the organic regs. The regs
do
> not say you cannot have chelated minerals in organic materials.
>
> The regs say you can't use chelated mineral PRODUCTS. Why? Because of
the
> process by which they are made.
>
> We'd be in deep trouble in the world of compost if you couldn't use
chelated
> minerals in organic production, because compost is chock full of them.
>
> So, presence of chelated materials is of no concern. It is if you make
> chelated mineral products, they have to be made without strong bases or
> acids, no non-approved organic materials can be used to make the chelates.
> No preservatives not allowed by the certifying agencies either.
>
> OK?
>

> Elaine

Sorry, Doc, and Thomas, but this does not make sense. We cannot use
chelated mineral products but the presence of chelated materials is of no
concern? Huh? Which of the processes by which chelated mineral products
are made is disallowed? Why/how would anyone use synthetic solvents, base
or acid, to cause chelation in anything? I really don't get this and look
forward to being set straight on it. -- Kirk

kirk_at_oregonatural.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/AG3JAA/0PSxlB/TM