Re: [compost_tea] Observation and questions

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 01:30:32 -0400

Hi Judi -

Can you describe the green "mold", or better yet, take a picture and e-mail me the digital picture. I suspect you have Trichoderma, a really good fungus, not a bad guy.

> 3) Four hours into brewing, can I add more water and food to a batch of tea if I make sure
> the temperature of the water is the same as the brew?

The danger is getting the organisms growing too fast and using up all the oxygen. Sure you can add things, but be careful and don't add too much. Remember, Goldilocks Principle!

> 4) Paulette asked if ‘Super Thrive’ could be used in compost tea. Can it? I don’t recall
> reading an answer to that question. And if so, when would
> you add it and how much
> would you add?

I think you could add Superthrive. IF it is much like Vegemite, it's basically a protein source. Just don't add too much. Measuring oxygen is the surest way to know, but beyond that, measuring activa bacteria and active fungi are then next best ways to measure and know for certain the brew was good.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY