Re: [compost_tea] RE: protozoa

From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 19:25:17 -0800

<<Questions then :

<<<which is better hay (legume or grass) or straw (oat or wheat)

The type of straw doesn't matter and I have been able to grow populations =
in lawn grass, hay, straw (oat, not wheat...didn't try) and "roadside grass=
es". Why not use some of all of them and see if you increase the diversit=

<<<add water

Don't forget to dechlorinate. I use a five gallon bucket. You can put in ju=
st a handful of hay or more, I don't think it matters too much provided you

then do aerate or make a sun tea ? which we now all know is anaerobic

Then aerate....here I think the fish tank pump and bubbler can be put to re=
use!

Many protozoa, like paramecium of High School Biology classes, can be seen,=
 but just, with the naked eye. Get some of the water under a microscope and=
 you will find all sorts of things including algae, paramecium, volvox, eug=
lena...things you diagramed in class a long time ago.

Cheers,

Jeff