Re: [compost_tea] CT in winter & Compost

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 20:55:27 -0700 (PDT)

Your imagination is probably as good as a scientific analysis. With so many speciec in your pile and in your brew there are probably many who enjoy whatever you have at whatever temp. The BIG difference in temp is the rate of microbe growth probably both in compost and in tea. Therefore the rate of O2 needed increases with Temp. The amount of sugars offered should decrease with temp. Bur Scott - you knew all this. Bob. .

Scott Alexander <daylily_at_bigpond.com> wrote:I've just prepared another brew and wonder what is going to happen to the microbes when they hit the cold leaves and cold ground when it is sprayed out. Night temps are down to 50 F and 60 F during the days just now. Aren't they going to get a big shock and perish after enjoying a warm environment? Hmmm You are going into your fall weather there? Fall is the right time to load up with TEA to clean up the debris left from summer crops. To clean up disease - plant pathogens - to load up soil that will grow more microbes over winter. I think fall is a missed opportunity by many who belive gardening starts in spring. No, gardening starts all the year around. In our hemisphere we are thinking spring. Planting. Harvesting a few crops that over wintered in this microclimate along shores of Puget Sound. But what we did last fall will have much to do with our success this spring.

Will warm TEA brew get a shock in a cold garden? Probably best to brew a moderately cool TEA. Just conversation, Scott. You know at least as much as I do about this subject Bob

Other thoughts/queries I have: The compost heap is very cold - are there exactly the same microbes in a cold winter heap as in a warm summer heap? If they are different, then shouldn't the CT brew made with this compost be left unheated?
My finished compost heap is now becoming invaded by 1000's of worms and there is no longer any visible fungi. Should a finished compost pile be bagged up and taken inside so the worms don't get in?

An observation I made yesterday when I scooped out the compost for this latest CT brew - I always return the bags of compost and lucerne hay from the previous CT back to the compost heap. This time both are full of worms. They must be enjoying a feast of microbes still present. Yes The left over compost in the brewer is probably richer in many ways than the initial charge. If I could only afford to examine everything I want to know about all the phases of making compost and CT. Bob

Scott Alexander

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor