[compost_tea] Re: CT in winter & Compost plus Worms

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 17:14:48 -0700

Scott -- I've often wondered if it's good or bad that I am spreading worms
all over, like many others. The vermicompost and castings I sell inevitably
contain cocoons (eggs) or tiny worms, so wherever they go a favorable
condition will result in worm growth. I mean these guys seem to go through
the guts of animals like seeds, even. I suppose it's possible they are in
AH... has that been tested? I'm sure they can be passed on in a tea.
Worms can live 10 years, 40-year old viable cocoons have been found, and
they can reproduce alone if they need to! And they have done this for at
least 600 million years as far as we can tell. Luckily, they seem benign
and beneficial. They haven't taken over Minnesota yet, have they?

Good compost is a feast-in-waiting for worms, so the compost sounds good and
I'm not surprised they've arrived there. Since there is no way of
containing worms totally - especially if they know there's a feast close
by - I think you have to contain or separate the compost somehow from worm
access. Simply dry or bright distance from worm beds might do the trick.
Or maybe you could just keep it off the ground. Elevated compost beds make
more sense to me than elevated vermicompost beds. Bag it, dry it, if you
have to,
but getting it up, away or sealed somehow from worm access seem like better
options. Using it quicker is also an option but doesn't seem like a good
one. -- Kirk

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 09:27:07 +1000
> From: "Scott Alexander" <daylily_at_bigpond.com>
> Subject: Re: CT in winter & Compost
>
> snip
>
> My finished compost heap is now becoming invaded by 1000's of worms and
there is no longer any visible fungi. Should a finished compost pile be
bagged up and taken inside so the worms don't get in?

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM