Re: [compost_tea] spraying during bloom-grapes

From: Thomas Giannou <thomas_at_tandjenterprises.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:05:42 -0700

Bill,

Most commercial varieties of grapes have self pollinating "perfect flowers"=
 and bees are not required for pollination. There are grapes such as muska=
dine that have separate male and female flowers and bees do play a role in =
their pollenation. Self-pollination and wind cross-pollination are generall=
y thought to be the more efficient pathways for grape pollination. One thin=
g I've noticed is the pollen bearing anthers tend to be on the fragile side=
 and if they are knocked off the flower before they release their pollen, f=
ruit set can be reduced. Spray programs are not generally conducted during=
 the pollination time so as to not disturb the fruit set. I would also not=
 run overhead sprinklers during grape bloom time. Turning away heavy rains=
 and hail, on the other hand, is a function of those nice looking grape lea=
ves. :)

--Thomas Giannou
http://www.tandjenterprises.com