Re: [compost_tea] Mixed

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:50:37 -0400

One possible way to speak is to say CT protected the leaves frrom other organisms getting a foothold on those surfaces, CT organisms out-competed the other organisms present, resulted in the other organisms being displaced.
-------
You can put lots of things in compost, but typically the toxic material will be decomposed during the composting process. Only if you don't proerly compost, and you allow the plant material to escape the composting process would you have a potential problem at the end of the composting cycle.

Is the toxin in ragwort harmful to Pythium? Or Erwinia? Or some other disease-organism? Or is it toxic to beneficial organisms? Research would have to be performed.

When exactly does foxglove have the greatest concentration of digitalis? If I remember correctly that's the toxic agent, correct me if I am mis-remembering. Spring? Mid-summer? Fall? You'd need to know that in order to know when the toxin was present, and when it was not. Lots of questions, no answers that I am aware. But then, I don't know everything.
-------
The microorganisms in CT will benefit descomposition of the litter, tending to shift the species from less beneficial bacteria and fungi and select for species that do not cause disease. Disease organisms are not as efficient at using litter resources as beneficials, so given normal conditions (weather, disturbance, competetion), the good guys out-compete the disease organisms. We want this to happen on leaf surfaces, in your compost, and on the litter on top of your soil.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY