Re: [compost_tea] sand dunes

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:04:50 -0400

Hi Russell -

Sand dunes! Just so happens that Bandon Dunes, a golf course, is on sand dunes. I also did some work with mycorrhizal people when they were looking at establishment of beach grasses and shrubs - they were trying to determine if VAM had any role in helping stabilize dunes.

Of course they do.

You need to attend one of the SFI seminars, you know. We cover all your questions, and you'd really get a good feel for how the foodweb works if you come to one of the courses.

> What is the sand dune biology made up of (bacteria, fungi, ratios)?

The higher level predators are missing from much of the early dune development. You start with bacteria alone, start adding species of bacteria, then protozoa show up, then fungi. No plants until that point. Then you add nematodes, and finally microarthropods. So, the F:B ratio shifts through the whole successional process that occurs on dunes. There is no one "right" F:B when you go from foredunes to forests.

>.how does the nutrient cycling work?

Really, you have to come to a class to get this answered. This is not a simple answer, and way more than anyone wants to read on the list serve.

> .can CT help with the restablishment of dune grasses on badly erroded sand dunes?

Yes.

> .by replanting dunes with the native sand dune grasses, adding the correct biology and food, will we speed up the restablishment?

Yes.

> has anyone had any practical experience with CT on sand
> dunes?

Talk to the folks at Bandon Dunes.

Sorry to not be more forth-coming, but you are asking questions that are much more involved than a one or two line answer.

Come to a class.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR