[compost_tea] "Aloe ,Aloe, Aleo"

From: Mike Benton <compost_at_mweb.co.za>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:46:04 +0200

Hi Kirk
We always as kids laughed when we saw aloes in the bush. It is an old
English joke that Bobbies [cops] always said " 'Allo ,Allo,Allo".As far as I
know the aloes are indigenous to SA.I know that both A.Vera and A .Ferox are
used for medicinal purposes since way back. Some is wild harvested but
plantations have been established in the last hundred years or so .The
fronds/leaves are cut and allowed to weep and the resulting exudates is
collected and boiled down into a thick paste that crystallises into a
extremely bitter tasting dark crystal .Hence one of its local names Bitter
Aloe. The green gel inside the leaves is also used to make skin creams with
documented results. This has grown into a large industry with growing
exports. The climate in which it grows varies from mild to very harsh
climate. I have seen aloes growing in areas of 4inches rainfall and temps
of -10c to over 45c.It does need lots of sun but that is never a problem
round here .we also have prickly pear or pad cactus plantations, for the
fruit and for sheep feed and large Agave plantations. We just call it Sisal
but I know that we make tequila from it under another name ,I must add at
the demand of the Mexican Gov as Tequila is a area specific name like Port .
I would imagine that the gel in the leaves of aloes, contains some
interesting sugars and other compounds, but I wonder what the effect some
like malic acid would have on the little guys in CT.I think malic acid might
be antimicrobial at some point, anybody else know?

Regards
Mike Benton
Compost Technologies
compost_at_mweb.co.za <mailto:compost_at_mweb.co.za> mobile 0823345371

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM