[compost_tea] Re: Large scale CT production for farm use

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:58:11 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "bgunzy" <bgunzy_at_n...> wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I agree, ACT by itself doesn't appear to
> rebuild OM, but that in combination with cover crops would help do
> the job. Wouldn't ACT help break down existing residue better than
> if left alone (assuming the present microbial activity is low)?
>
> Here's one idea I've thought about: on soybeans going to corn,
> broadcast spread a cover crop like winter wheat, then incorporate
it
> and the ACT at the same time with a disk or field cultivator. In
the
> spring, disk or field cultivate out the wheat,
<><>>><><><<><<<<><<<<<<><>>>>>><<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>
If you let the wheat get very big you'll have to plow it. How much
residue can you're bean and milo planter handle? I disced wheat
stubble and grass trash this spring cause I didn't want to plow and
the field cultivator kept plugging. With the somewhat wet spring we
had (KS) I have pig weeds as big as the milo now. Next year I'm
probably plowing the milo ground. Dennis

again while applying
> and incorporating ACT. Spray ACT again in the summer as a foliar
> application. A similar practice for corn going to soybeans as
well.
> Doing this would give the ACT something to work on in the spring,
as
> well as helping break down residue in the fall, as well as protect
> against mid-season outbreaks. Biggest question is if I can take
out
> the growing wheat plants before planting the desired field crop. I
> would consider wheat as a field crop on some farms, and I'd improve
> the seeding method (drilling instead of broadcasting) for that
> situation as well.
>

> --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "ddrunyon" <ddrunyon_at_y...>
wrote:
> > -
> > Hello ! I have started using (ACT) on my corn this year. I'am
> > appling
> > 2 gal per acre in the seed trench( it requires time). I have been
> > watching it and will know more after harvest. I do not use any
> > insecticides, some herbicides(Hey don't jump on me yet). I'am not
> > 100% converted. But I know that I will not return back to where I
> > was before! If you want to increase OM start a green crop
program
> > and do not stop for 5 years. It will take that long to show
> > anything, after all this did not happen overnight!
> >

> > - In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Bolander"
> > <tim.bolander_at_t...> wrote:
> > > Hi Bgunzy,
> > > My experience is that ACT definitly promotes goals 2, 3 and 4.
> > Goal 5 is less obvious.
> > > ACT, by itself, does not increase the OM in a soil.
> > > Selected compost crops, production of a tested, high quality
> > compost
> > > Spread as needed and use ACT to conserve and increase the % of
OM

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM