[compost_tea] Re: Large scale CT production for farm use

From: bgunzy <bgunzy_at_netins.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:08:28 -0000

Thanks for the replies. I agree, ACT by itself doesn't appear to
rebuild OM, but that in combination with cover crops would help do
the job. Wouldn't ACT help break down existing residue better than
if left alone (assuming the present microbial activity is low)?

Here's one idea I've thought about: on soybeans going to corn,
broadcast spread a cover crop like winter wheat, then incorporate it
and the ACT at the same time with a disk or field cultivator. In the
spring, disk or field cultivate out the wheat, again while applying
and incorporating ACT. Spray ACT again in the summer as a foliar
application. A similar practice for corn going to soybeans as well.
Doing this would give the ACT something to work on in the spring, as
well as helping break down residue in the fall, as well as protect
against mid-season outbreaks. Biggest question is if I can take out
the growing wheat plants before planting the desired field crop. I
would consider wheat as a field crop on some farms, and I'd improve
the seeding method (drilling instead of broadcasting) for that
situation as well.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "ddrunyon" <ddrunyon_at_y...> wrote:
> -
> Hello ! I have started using (ACT) on my corn this year. I'am
> appling
> 2 gal per acre in the seed trench( it requires time). I have been
> watching it and will know more after harvest. I do not use any
> insecticides, some herbicides(Hey don't jump on me yet). I'am not
> 100% converted. But I know that I will not return back to where I
> was before! If you want to increase OM start a green crop program
> and do not stop for 5 years. It will take that long to show
> anything, after all this did not happen overnight!
>

> - In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Bolander"
> <tim.bolander_at_t...> wrote:
> > Hi Bgunzy,
> > My experience is that ACT definitly promotes goals 2, 3 and 4.
> Goal 5 is less obvious.
> > ACT, by itself, does not increase the OM in a soil.
> > Selected compost crops, production of a tested, high quality
> compost
> > Spread as needed and use ACT to conserve and increase the % of OM
> in the soil.
> > Use compost tea only in non-composted fields.

What

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM