Re: [compost_tea] Root-knot nematodes

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:58:41 -0400

To trap nematodes, you need little tiny lassos, or maybe fishing lines.

OK, I'll behave. What you need to do is find a good source of forest soil that has the nematodes. I should go back through the SFI database and point out to people where the good sites are that we know about.

Mark Sturges (MGrove_at_harborside.com) has good nematodes and the best diversity in his worm compost that I've ever seen in compost. Joe Richards has lots of bacterial-feeders in his worm compost (sorry, no e-mail, you can look on the SFI website for his info, in the products section).

The HJ Andrews - in un-disturbed areas - has great diversity of nematodes. The HJ Andrews is an long term ecological study site of the NSF, in the mts in Oregon. The forests around Fort Lewis in Washington State - again, undisturbed - have good diversity, but be careful of the tanks rolling around. They get fairly nasty about unauthorized people on the property, so maybe not a good place to go on your own. And again, you have to know where the place has not been disturbed.

So, the best way to do an inoculum is to test a few local places you think would be good for nematodes, again, undisturbed to the greatest extent possible.

You can do the Bearman funnel extraction, and see all the wigglies with a disecting scope, but you need to be able to ID them to know if they are good or bad guys. You need a DIC microscope to do that. Send them to SFI for ID. Or hope for the best in your compost.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY
SFI Lismore, NSW, Australia
SFI Hilversum, The Netherlands
SFI Cambridge, New Zealand
www.soilfoodweb.com

Buy Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits for Your Epson at Myinks.com
Free shipping on orders $50 or more to the US and Canada.
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5705&lp=home/epson.asp
http://us.click.yahoo.com/brYXfA/_xWGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM