[compost_tea] Re: Root-knot nematodes

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:22:13 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> To trap nematodes, you need little tiny lassos, or maybe fishing
lines.

> OK, I'll behave. What you need to do is find a good source of
forest soil that has the nematodes. I should go back through the SFI
database and point out to people where the good sites are that we
know about.

> Mark Sturges (MGrove_at_h...) has good nematodes and the best
diversity in his worm compost that I've ever seen in compost. Joe
Richards has lots of bacterial-feeders in his worm compost (sorry, no
e-mail, you can look on the SFI website for his info, in the products
section).

> The HJ Andrews - in un-disturbed areas - has great diversity of
nematodes. The HJ Andrews is an long term ecological study site of
the NSF, in the mts in Oregon. The forests around Fort Lewis in
Washington State - again, undisturbed - have good diversity, but be
careful of the tanks rolling around. They get fairly nasty about
unauthorized people on the property, so maybe not a good place to go
on your own. And again, you have to know where the place has not
been disturbed.

> So, the best way to do an inoculum is to test a few local places
you think would be good for nematodes, again, undisturbed to the
greatest extent possible.

> You can do the Bearman funnel extraction, and see all the wigglies
with a disecting scope, but you need to be able to ID them to know if
they are good or bad guys. You need a DIC microscope to do that.
Send them to SFI for ID. Or hope for the best in your compost.

<><><><><<<<<<<<<<<<<>When is open house (show and tell) at your
lab? Dennis

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/sOykFB/k9VGAA/ySSFAA/0PSxlB/TM