[compost_tea] Re: NOP regulations

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:11:48 -0700

> Message: 13
   Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 16:02:30 -0400
   From: "Paul Sachs" <pdsachs_at_localnet.com>
> Subject: NOP regulations

I'm giving a seminar tomorrow at the New England NOFA Conference on making
compost tea and I'm sure someone is going to ask about regulations regarding
the use of AACT on certified organic farms in the US. Does anyone know
where they are at right now?

Paul Sachs <

Paul -- I was about to ask a question like this of list. Thanks for doing
it. It's been a couple months without any news. One of the NOFA certifiers
has it right, last I heard, similar to what WA state is doing but CT seems
still regarded as "raw manure" by USDA/NOP, 120-day rule applied. Tom J
posted the latest USDA letter to yahoo group in April, I believe it was. If
you hear differently, please let us know.

Doc E is involved in the new NOSB Compost Tea Task Force and when I last
saw her about a month ago she said she was "cautiously optimistic" about
their work. I want to remember they were on an 18-month plan for review and
recommendation, which means they've put it off maybe two more years. Elaine
would have most recent word and schedule.

So CT is still not acceptable for soil fertilty uses by USDA officially but
certifiers are certifying it anyway, when it's made with certifiable
ingredients, I hear. We're gonna have to bring it to USDA on a platter,
hmm? What do you suppose might happen when they finally acknowledge there
are valuable maybe superior foliar uses, even?

Good luck with your talk. Hope this is useful.

-- Kirk

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM