[compost_tea] Re: Aphids

From: dloring3 <dloring3_at_cox.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 18:54:41 -0000

Bob - Actually I was refering to the fact that you can't stop an
insect eating fungi that is alive in your tea from attacking an
insect it uses as a host when when you spray it on a leaf and
conditions are right for infection. Beauveria bassiana fungi is one
that can germinate and live on something as simple as Rose Bengal
agar but give it an aphid and it will eat that too. That's what it
does to live.

As for microbes running out of food in ACT, I'm afraid you have
given a very simple response to a distinctly complex situation.
There are thousands of species of bacteria, fungi and actinomycetes
alive in an aerobic tea. Do you think they all eat only molasses,
soluble kelp, or whatever else might have been added as "food"?
Afraid not! Many are eating each other and many are being eaten by
microarthropods further up on the food chain. Even if you keep the
Oxygen going you'll end up with less and less diversity of species if
you hold a system as complicated as a compost tea for more than a day
or two. At least that is what I've gotten out of Elaine's lectures.
No one even claims to know about more than a fraction of the
microbial species that are in ACT so how can we possibly make simple
statements about what works??

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_y...> wrote:
> Wrong Dave, They stop eating when they run our of food. Keep the
O2 going as they run out. SWAG : they will eat each other for a
while and go dormant. Stop eating! Bob

> David Loring <dloring3_at_c...> wrote:Jeff - You can't stop the
microbes from eating.

> Dave

Service.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM