[compost_tea] Tea batch size and active F and B results

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:42:13 -0400

Kirk Leonard said:

In the meantime, Paul has asserted that someone at a NOFA conference has
claimed larger tea volumes make better teas. I'd like to hear more about
that.

Well, without claiming/asserting that larger tea volumes make better teas,
there is some data I have looked at recently that for some reason shows up
with higher numbers in larger brews.

I was talking to a different Paul - Paul Sachs of North Country Organics -
about his test results, which are posted on the ncorganics website under
compost tea conditions. SFI tests are posted, too. Paul has done his best
to post the recipes within his test conditions (note he has been working
with products he sells, a fungal booster, bacteria booster, and blended
compost he makes and sells, which I appreciate because I try to copy what
he's done, using my water but his ingredients. Paul tested using two
different brewers, one with a larger capability than the other. His active
fungi and bacteria, as I recall, go up when his batch size goes up.

Here's the link to the results. Scroll down for the link to conditions.
Click on a date to see the SFI report associated with that set of results.
http://www.norganics.com/tests.html

Has anyone else had this experience borne out by your testing? The
interesting thing about this particular brewer combo is that the individual
user selects his or her own container for brewing -- it does not have a
Brewing Chamber that is standard equipment. Thus, container size and shape
could turn out to be relevant: does a certain size or shape create optimum
conditions for extraction of organisms? Or for growing them? Or,
conversely, do certain sizes and shapes cause the numbers of active to be
lower (but total higher) somehow? An example would be a container that had
corners in which anaerobic bacteria might tend to breed -- would that
increase the total bacteria while lowering the active b? Elaine has said
that anaerobes don't stain, and thus are not counted in the active count --
are counted with the sleeping aerobes and I guess the dead bacteria as part
of the total count.

Cheers,

Chris Reid

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM