Re: [compost_tea]

From: David Loring <dloring3_at_cox.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:07:25 -0700

Chris - The Active Fungi in my first two teas were3.54 and 2.68ug/ml and To=
tal Fungi was 3.73 and 4.95ug/ml. I added the pretreated Greenways mulch (u=
sed a 20oz.disposable clear plastic food container with a half dozen vent h=
oles drilled in the lid, filling it with the slightly moist mulch product w=
hich was recommended by SFI as a mulch with good diversity of materials and=
 without toxic components, added 2oz. fish hydrolysate and mixed it togethe=
r. It was not wet, just moist). I pretreat in a styrofoam egg incubator c=
osting $30 set at 85*F. When I included the pretreated mulch the fungal nu=
mbers were quite high, Active 37.5 and Total 56.11. The Hyphal Diameter we=
nt from 2.5 to 3um. I have not been able to consistantly achieve this high=
 number and only suggest pretreatment as a way to develop a fungal tea. I'=
m still looking for better ways to get the fungi in vermicompost growing fa=
ster and think Azomite might be part of the solution as it adds growing sur=
faces and nutrients.

Dave Sotillo 50