Re: [compost_tea] Re: probiotics

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:07:13 +0800

Dennis,
In my experience testing is essential where there is risk management
involved.
For example I have a client who grows grapes, he used only AACT on his
vines no chemicals or toxic material. The risk is he could loose crop if
disease becomes a problem. This means loss of some income for the year!!
By the way I heard from him the other day and he is very pleased with the
quality of wine he made from grapes harvested last year, wine is
preservative free and no fungicides used at all!!
To manage risk, test everything you can and ensure a system that delivers a
quality product.
Another client uses AACT in broad acre. He choose AACT instead of fungicides
to manage the risk of stripe rust this year in Wheat. Cost of fungicides
$30,000 cost of using AACT including machine about half of this. When you
are talking about income and business management you better manage risk.
However as you point out if you are only doing 50 gal at a time and the risk
of it not being up to standard is minimal then why bother testing? Mabey
that depends on how much value you place on your time ie if there is no
fungi in the AACT you are producing then you may not get the results you are
after??
Note we test to establish a sytem, ie the compost is tested, the recipe and
machine is tested, the delivery system (spray cart or irrigation system)
should also be tested to ensure organisms get on to the plant or soil in
good condition.
For costs of tests see SFI web site.
Regards Mike Harvey,
New Life Soils www.composttea.com.au

> > ><<<>><<<>Hey mike not to rub it in the ground but what do these
> tests cost exactly? I can see testing a sample from a 20 ton tanker
> if I had it sold by the gallon or 5 gallon quantity but not from a 50
> gallon bucket of product! And if it were sold how would I stabilize
> it for the end user a day or two or a week down the road? Dennis
>

> <><<><><><><><><><><><>Info below Clipped by Dennis. See previous >
message if necessary.