[compost_tea] Molasses

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:44:23 +0800

Elaine,
I have a situation in Strawberries where we will be using AACT and other ma=
terials to restore the food web.
About 50 tonne per ha foul manure (including saw dust) plus super phos and =
other chemical ferts have been used as well as lime and other inputs prepla=
nt it was then gassed (methyl bromide). Plastic layed and planted.
Full soil food web analysis has been done and I am waiting for the results.
I expect the results to come back showing a lack in the fungal biomass as w=
ell as bacterial.
We will be using Molasses, humic acid and AACT to restore the web.
Am I right in saying that the soil must go through succession that is, it m=
ust first become bacterial dominated before it can then progress to fungal =
dominated?
Thus using sufficient rates of molasses to cause a large increase in Benef=
icial bacteria and then using humic acid as well as molasses to continue th=
e succesion towards fungal dominated (always using AACT as the inoculant) I=
s this the way to go??.
I note that in the past we have said that Molasses grows bacteria not fungi=
 however we now know that Molasses will also grow great fungi in higher con=
centrations. I have seen this in compost will the same thing happen in the =
soil??
Molasses is a great product to use in drip lines (compared to other organic=
 products eg fish) and is reasonably priced hence my interest in it.
 We will test the food web later in the season to see what changes have occ=
ured so it will be interesting.
Regards Mike Harvey
New LIfe Soils www.composttea.com.au