Re: [compost_tea] Molasses

From: Anthony Quinlan <boofq_at_wn.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:10:27 +0800

mike wrote
>Am I right in saying that the soil must go through succession that is, it =
must first become bacterial dominated before it can then progress to fungal=
 dominated?

Mike, based on my experience this succesion to fungal dominance is governed=
 strongly by the organic matter levels present in the soil and in particula=
r the the more complex carbs such as hemi-cellulose and lignin - stuff that=
 the active fungi can really get thier teeth stuck into. I did a number of =
applications on my vineyard (with some excellent SFI numbers) last year whe=
re some rows were mulched and other were not, the unmulched rows had little=
 visible fungi whereas the mulched rows were loaded with the stuff. If you =
supply the accomodation the fungi will check in for an extended stay. Altho=
ugh the area has been subject to biological methods for two years prior, it=
 would of been your typical high bacterial paddock before that.