Re: Farmstand & CSA???

Linda at Homestead Farms wrote:
We are currently operating an organic vegetable farm in upstate NY,
marketing all produce through our farmstand. Our location is good for local
and tourist traffic, so we don't want to discontinue this marketing method.
We are considering adding a CSA to the farm next year, to broaden our
customer base. Has anyone had experience operating both CSA and farmstand?
Linda,
    I just read a book from a couple in Washington.  The title is: Rebirth of the Small Family Farm - A Handbook for Starting a Successful Organic Farm Based on the CSA Concept.  It is available from IMF Associates, Box 2542, Vashon Island, Wa. 98070.
   Or you could just write them.  I got their address from the CSA-North America on the Web.  It is:  Island Meadow Farm, Bonnie and Bob Gregson, 10310 SW Cemetery Road,
Vashon Island, WA, 98070  Their phone number is 206-463-9065.  As you can tell, they published the book themselves.  Any way, they suggest that someone starting out from scratch consider beginning with the local farmers market and/or a farm stand, and at least continue the farm stand concurrently with the CSA.  They only sell excess through the farm stand.  I hope this helps.

Michael Huff
Cana Farm (CSA to be)
Huntsville, TX 77340-0607
409/294-9468