Re: can CSA provide a living?

Jeff Hall wrote:
>I think most CSA's are a second income-type deal. Food prices are held
artificially low (oil defense budget, highway subsidy, water subsidy,
child and exploited labor, and so on and so on), so I still feel we're
trying to build the alternative for when that system collapses (not many
calories in money). But in the short run, the vegetable growers I know
rank financial compensation on the negative side, against the many
positives that keep them doing it.
>There are larger farms that are closer to reasonable (Harmony Valley,
Roxbury...), but its a growing/learning process to get there, it seems.
>Jeff Hall, Ames IA

There has to be a "profit" just the same, Jeff, whether it be money or
goods to barter. However, a possibly better means of exchange seems to
be local currencies, which are legal and gaining popularity in many
areas. Paul Glover has a lot of info on that at hours@lightlink.com.
That's his email address, if I remember right. He's in Ithaca, NY and a
lot of the people there seem to be into health foods and organic growing
as well as local currency. If the national economy collapses, local
currencies have been known to keep local economies healthy as during the
Great Depression. Aloha. Lloyd