Re: can CSA provide a living?

>>> "lloyd kinder" <lkindr@hotmail.com> 09/09 1:40 PM >>>

There has to be a "profit" just the same, Jeff, whether it be money or
goods to barter. However, a possibly better means of exchange seems to
be local currencies, which are legal and gaining popularity in many
areas. Paul Glover has a lot of info on that at hours@lightlink.com.
That's his email address, if I remember right. He's in Ithaca, NY and a
lot of the people there seem to be into health foods and organic growing
as well as local currency. If the national economy collapses, local
currencies have been known to keep local economies healthy as during the
Great Depression. Aloha. Lloyd

You're right, Lloyd. No one has championed the ultimate CSA idea recently, though. If you have strong, enlightened community, you can ask members to divide your costs among them, because that is the true cost of their food. It brings up the whole question of does the tax lawyer contribute 20 times to society what a child care worker does, for example. Prices are socially constructed, they are not "natural", as we think of them.

I'd also put in a plug for season extension as an excellent way for a small farm to become more "profitable". Check out the strawbale greenhouse article by Roald Gundersen:
http://www.mwt.net/~roald/llewellyn.html

Jeff Hall, Ames Iowa