Re: native bees

---Leigh Hauter <lh@pressroom.com> wrote:

> native bees (and there's dozens of different types - as we all have
> noticed while picking our vegetables) are, as far as I know, not
> affected by the mites.

Another type of native bee in some parts of the country is the Orchard
Mason Bee.  They are apparently very good pollinators.  There's a book
about them, the info on which I don't have handy.  You can make a home
for them by drilling 5/16" by 2-3" deep holes in a piece of 4x4
lumber, and hanging this in a place that is sheltered from the
elements.  If they live in your area, they'll move in.

We're planning to try this at some point, when we've accumulated a few
more round tuits and when my back lets me climb ladders again.

Loren

==
Loren Davidson       Permaculturist, poet, philosopher
Please reply to loren@wombat.net
http://www.batnet.com/beauty/
In 1996, Congress voted to ban smut on the Internet.
In 1998, Congress voted to publish smut on the Internet.