Re: composting v. soil application

I do not know if what I do is the best method, but I sheet compost, with
the garden residue (often several feet thick), with lime, manure, and
whatever compost I have at the time, and after it is rained on once well I
cover it with black plastic. Over several months all of this is cooked
down to a clean seed bed, lovely soil...Using some hot manure (I have
chickens and donkeys) helps this process. As a single parent and sole
farmer that clean seed bed when I need it is priceless, and I THINK that
something good must have happened there for the soil. I don't know though
for sure. I have been using this method for 5 years and am happy with it.
It can be done over cover crops as well (I do no till also, for mostly
practical reasons) and it seems to work to incorporate the cover crop that
way. Michelle

Michelle Crawford, Pacific Potager, organic farm and nursery,
27918 Vashon Hwy SW Vashon, WA 98070