Re: Honeybee Mites

My 2 cents on the Honeybee Mite discussion -

There are two type of mites that are impacting honeybees (Apis
melifera): Tracheal Mites (Acarpis woodi) and Varroa Mites (Varroa
jacobsoni). Tracheal mites were first detected and described in England
in the 1920's. Varroa mites were first detected infesting honey bees in
Asia in the 1960's. I have read no evidence indicating that either of
these parasites were indigenous to the United States.

The best "natural" treatment I've come across is using essential oils
from plants in the mint family. Peppermint, spearmint, lavender, but not
pennyroyal. Mix the essential oil with a light carrier oil such as
canola or sunflower. Then saturate a papertowel with this oil and place
it on top of the frames in the top super (the top box of the beehive).
The bees will, over time, tear up the paper towel and remove it from the
hive. And in the process, they will distribute the mixture throughout
the hive. The oil mixture is a mechanical mite deterrent as it inhibits
the movement of the mite throughout the hive. (they get stuck) The
mixture is also a chemical deterrent as the mint oil is toxic to the
mites, but not to the bees. Any good aromatherapy shop carries high
quality, food-grade essential oils.  I've read good anecdotal evidence
that this treatment method works and I believe the Ohio State University
Apiculture Research Department has also done tests that had encouraging
results.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you would like to get the real scoop
on these issues (from the professionals) I'd suggest going to the
library and checking out the "American Bee Journal", "The Hive and the
Honeybee" and "The forgotten Pollinators."

Happy honeying,

Hans Gorsuch