assistant growers needed

Available:

Assistant Growers needed for 1999 season

a small but rapidly expanding CSA located in Amenia NY, approximately
90 miles north of New York City.  We recently completed our first year
of operation, serving 32 shares over a 16-week season from 1 acre of
vegetables.  We wish to grow to 100-120 shares on 5 acres next year.
The farm totals 80 acres, with approximately 25 tillable acres, and
includes some of the best agricultural soils in our region.  The farm
is managed with attention to biodynamic principles, and is certified
organic by NOFA-NY.

Who we need: We are looking for 2 highly motivated individuals to work
with the primary farmer in our diversified vegetable operation.
Applicants should have previous farm experience and a strong interest
in farming as a career.  Ideally, applicants should have been through a
well-structured apprenticeship program and be looking for a chance to
put into practice the skills they obtained. The ability to work quickly
and efficiently whether alone or in a group is necessary.  A high
degree of responsibility will be given, and in exchange a high level of
quality in work is expected.  Experience with machinery and with
livestock and crops other than vegetables is desirable.

Job description:  The assistant growers will work as a team with the
primary farmer, dividing responsibility for the vegetable operation.
Tasks will include planting, cultivating, harvesting and washing, as
well as interacting with community members on a weekly basis.  The
assistant growers will need to make decisions daily such as
prioritizing specific tasks and responding to crises.  Space will be
given to develop particular personal interests within the existing farm
framework.

Compensation: Salary is negotiable, commensurate with experience, but
will include profit-sharing.  Room and board are provided.  Growers can
expect to learn a great deal both from their own experience as managers
as well as the experience of the primary farmer.   Essentially, what we
offer is a chance to try farming without assuming the full risk of
starting one's own farm.  Long-term involvement with the community farm
is possible, based on compatibility.

If interested, please contact:

Nathaniel Thompson

RR 1 Box 136