Re: Microwaves, Emergencies and Herbs

Wow, lots of ideas in this one!  Thanks, Lloyd!

Microwave towers are why I didn't buy land at my first-choice location near
the Finger Lakes Trail.  Turned out later to be a good decision anyway; the
Mohawks claimed the entire area (farms and all) and it's still a political
mess.  High-voltage electric wires were also a no-no.  Almost didn't take this
place because of the standard wire going across it, but it'll probably be
replaced by optical fiber within another ten years.  <G>

Herbal first aid is certainly better than no first aid.  We all have our Red
Cross First Aid cards and CPR certificates, right?  If we're serious about
preparedness we've become volunteers with Civil Defense and taken all of the
training we can get?   Gotta make a living anyway?  Be an EMT.  Can also get
training by volunteering with the local smoke eaters.

With all due respect to the original poster, please, please if anybody is
going to rely on herbs get _informed_ about them.  Just like pharmaceuticals,
combinations can be dangerous.  And don't _ever_ "tincture" garlic in olive
oil.  Unless very special (and usually expensive) processing equipment is used
(which incidentally cooks the garlic and destroys most of its effectiveness),
there's a huge risk of botulism.  Garlic will almost always keep fresh until
the next harvesting season if it's cured and stored properly.  Learn how to do
that instead.

We CSA people are precious and few.  Let's not lose any more than we have to!

Dori Green
Technical Writer and Organic Farmer/Herbalist
Hobbies:  Raising Goats and Changing the World for the Better

Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
Corning, NY

Virtual farm tour starts at http://www.agrove.com/agrove1.html