assistant growers needed

Position Available:
Assistant Growers needed for 1999 season

Application deadline Jan. 1 1999

Who we are: Still Point Community Farm is a small but rapidly expanding CSA
located in Amenia NY, approximately 90 miles north of New York City.  We
recently completed our first year of operation, serving 32 shares over a
16-week season from 1 acre of vegetables.  We wish to grow to 100-120
shares on 5 acres next year.  The farm totals 80 acres, with approximately
25 tillable acres, and includes some of the best agricultural soils in our
region.  The farm is managed with attention to biodynamic principles, and
is certified organic by NOFA-NY.

Who we need: We are looking for 2 highly motivated individuals to work with
the primary farmer in our diversified vegetable operation.  Applicants
should have previous farm experience and a strong interest in farming as a
career.  Ideally, applicants should have been through a well-structured
apprenticeship program and be looking for a chance to put into practice the
skills they obtained. The ability to work quickly and efficiently whether
alone or in a group is necessary.  A high degree of responsibility will be
given, and in exchange a high level of quality in work is expected.
Experience with machinery and with livestock and crops other than
vegetables is desirable.

Job description:  The assistant growers will work as a team with the
primary farmer, dividing responsibility for the vegetable operation.  Tasks
will include planting, cultivating, harvesting and washing, as well as
interacting with community members on a weekly basis.  The assistant
growers will need to make decisions daily such as prioritizing specific
tasks and responding to crises.  Space will be given to develop particular
personal interests within the existing farm framework.

Compensation: Salary is negotiable, commensurate with experience, but will
include profit-sharing.  Room and board are provided.  Growers can expect
to learn a great deal both from their own experience as managers as well as
the experience of the primary farmer.   Essentially, what we offer is a
chance to try farming without assuming the full risk of starting one's own
farm.  Long-term involvement with the community farm is possible, based on
compatibility.

If interested, please contact:
Nathaniel Thompson
RR 1 Box 136