Re: credit cards

We accept time payments and allow a 50% labor swap for shares.  Haven't found
a bank that will set up credit cards for less than several hundred dollars, so
haven't done that.

If somebody can't come up with two hours a month for ten months and $10 a
month ditto for a $10 share for 20 weeks, we refer them to the nearest food
pantry.  I'm serious -- they're destitute and might not know the help is
available.  We've saved pride more than once by formally working it out that
they come up and help out in the garden when they can in exchange for getting
food at the pantry when they want it.  Of course they could get the food
anyway.  But this way some very proud people who've worked all their lives and
don't want to take a handout just because the company downsized don't have to
accept a handout.

If they just don't want to pay because they think the world owes them a living
(we've met these folks too), well, they're not for us and we're not for them.
Vaya con Dios.  We don't have to be all things to all people, and we
especially don't have to be pushovers for abusive people with a grand sense of
their own entitlement.

I wish I had more of those proud former factory people, even if they can't
work in the garden because they have jobs again!  I learn a lot from them
whenever they wander by, even if what I learn has nothing to do with farming.

BTW, I use QuickBooks Pro for the bookkeeping.  Took a while to get everything
set up the way I wanted it, but now it's working great.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
http://www.agrove.com