Re: Transfer of Development Rights = CSA:

Let's take a closer look at this open bin of composting worms:)
    "I think we have a good shot at teaching kids, or our committed members,
but
are you right about teaching the gov. sector.  At the moment our biggest
"danger" is our own town.  This past spring the were drooling over our land as
a possible site for a new High School thank goodness they are putting it
somewhere else(of course
 formally open space but slated for houses).  A few weeks ago they ask to meet
with my husband they wanted to buy it.  For a future golf course in one
officia'ls plan. Open but full of chemicals and I am sure loss of forest
habitat.  Well my husband
said no but he'd be intereted in selling development rights, the good thing is
they did't laugh him out of the office.  But they had no idea how to procede,
neither do we really."

Being "right" is different than being successful.  The first requires facts.
Success is achieved through patient vigilance, bridge building and coalitions.
Bainbridge Island is just a 35 minute ferry ride from the heart of downtown
Seattle.  It is a beautiful and easy commute from one of the busiest ports on
the west coast.  Our population has changed drastically from Japanese and
Philapino berry farmers to doctors and lawyers.  In our last general election,
the farming community pulled together to lobby for an executive and
legislative representation favorable to farming interest.  We got the Mayor of
our choice.  But lost a couple of seats on the Council to a developer and a
lumber baron. Financial interests sway professionals more than common sense.
(Both my wife and I are credentialed as advanced practice nurses.)

>From September through March, farmers are the majority in attendance at City
Council meetings.  We have a vocal presence on record with the City and in the
local paper's letters to the editor.  (Our local paper's Editor reports on
much more business and development press than farming press except on the
editorial page.)  We have also managed to unseat one more County Commissioner
this month to bring our representation to two seats out of five.  The American
Farmland Trust has rated  Kitsap County as one of the top ten Counties in the
country vulnerable to the loss of agriculture.  The majority of our County
Commissioners continue to refuse funding for an agricultural extension agent.
But the majority is beginning to recognize that agriculture is a power to be
dealt with now.

The only way to educate government officials is through elections and
volunteering to work on campaigns.  Time is a great expense for farmers.  But
we must pay the price.  Currently, Our city has a legislated and funded a
transfer of development rights (TDR) program.  Unfortunately, our focus on the
polititions neglected the minority farmers, developers, and financial
institutions that must participate in the program.  So now we are marshalling
our resources for an outreach program to educate the community at large and
get this baby rolling.  It's a long road.  Again, patience and vigilance are
the powers that drive success.

The American Farmland Trust (AFT) is your first resource for TDRs.  You can
find them on the web or at PO Box 96982, Washington DC 20077-7048.  The City
of Bainbridge Island has offered a TDR bonus of  3 to 1 for each TDR secured
forever through the AFT.

"WE ARE a short sited shelfish bunch :),  I include myself in that but aren't
we getting better?  Please say yes.  I don't know.  I read a list of the top
10 states loosing farm land (to houses mostly) the top one was California (10
was Massachusetts my state).  California, this affects all grocery store
shoppers which is the huge majority of the country.  WHere will the food come
from?  I was amazed at this.  I understand the difficulty in rallying the
genereal public to a new idea CSA, but lose of farmland in California affects
the grocery stores."

Personally, I'ld rather loose grocery stores over local farms.  All the more
reason for a sustainable, local and healthy food supply.  Our subscribers have
to come to the farm or the Farmers' Market to pick up their weekly groceries.
As subscribers, they are welcome to drop by "their farm" anytime.  Most of
them introduce us as "their farmer".  Only subscribers and their guests can
take advantage of the u-pick strawberries, raspberries and blueberries grown
on Ocean Sky Farm.  There is no added costs to the u-pick other than their
labor.  They connect and become interested in the well being of the farm.
They vote for farm friendly representation.  We never sell to restaurants or
groceries.  We can't afford to discount our organic produce.  We sell directly
to the consumers.  And they keep coming back for more.

Does anyone know if there are CSAs in New Mexico. >>

The Sante Fe Famrers' Market is one of the largest Farmers' Markets in the
southwest.  Many of the venders there have CSAs as well.  The name of their
manager escapes me now. (I suffered a significant head trauma three weeks ago
in a bicycling accident and have some residual memory loss.)  But you can find
the organization in the long distance directory.

We are a grossly misunderstood and under represented population.  We don't
need to fight as much as we need to build bridges to coalitions and alliances.
Currently, we are focusing on neighborhood groups, Granges, Land Trust
organizations and public funding sources for our outreach education program.
I'll keep you posted on our successes and failures.  Any fool can learn from
their own mistakes.  The wise learn from other peoples mistakes.

I hope you find this tome helpful.  Good luck!

Art Biggert