Re: Global action for development of the third society through the development ofsound farming

No I have not read Gene Lodgeson. Who is he? Yes, the rules should be
strict, but it is very important that they are strict in the right way. In
Europe we have problems with rules that forces small farmers to invest more
than they can afford - particullarily milk producers - so that big farmers
get an advantage and small dairy farms that should convert to ecological
rather die out. This is very dangerous for global food security. Animal
husbandry and crop production should be combined locally, preferably on
farm level (minimizing transports), minimizing energy consumption should be
a goal with a practical implementation strategy, and there should be at
least an extra fee for long distance trade to prevent that traders choose
the easy way and import from a big grower rather than looking for and
stimulating local ecological production. The experiences of CSA development
should be integrated in the IFOAM rule system. I think a profound rule
revision within IFOAM is needed based on a world strategy for eco-farming
that will promote local consumtion and that opens for that eco-farming is
not a special thing for special people that can afford to pay extra. I am
convinced this is possible. Then the EU and USDA rules for eco-farming
should eventually become unneccessary or just lean on IFOAM.

Hans von Essen