questions seeking answers

hey folks
just got a couple basic questions very specific to my location. please let
me know if you have any suggestions. thanks
olivia

*any idea about a more "home-made"  alternative to a $2-3K piece of
equipment to filter the iron out of well water (for household use)? the
high-tech solutions offered to me involve ion exchange...i've got 5 ppm iron
and about a 6.5 pH

*recommendations on which approach to use for gardening on a tiny plot of
HARD, rocky clay soil
a) newspapers and mulch over the soil or straw bale plantings, etc
b) backbreaking double digging
c) rototill or some fancier equiptment
d) ?